The First Compact Digital Rolling Ruler!
Enjoy the following Backerland review of the Rollova: the world’s first compact digital rolling ruler. It’s a neat little device that transforms the way you measure surfaces, making it easier than a conventional measuring tape can.
Designed to be durable. Rollova uses polycarbonate plastic, silicone rubber for the tire and an OLED display. The display has a contrast ratio of 10,000:1 The design also uses polycarbonate plastic. Its goal is to replace rulers and measuring tapes with a digital device which fits in your pocket.
Check it out in action below:
What makes it outstanding is its ability to simplify measuring flat, curved, or cornered objects.
It’s super simple to use – all you have to do is turn it on, lock it on it’s back, hold the button with your fingers and start rolling. The distance you roll is measured on the display screen. Once an object is measured the distance can be saved for later viewing.
The only drawbacks we’ve come across are in measuring very straight unguided lines. Since the results will be only as accurate as of the line you’re able to trace. You have to hold a button down to measure it fully.
The full specs from their campaign page are:
- Size: 2 in diameter by 0.5 in thick (5.08 x 1.25 cm)
- Battery: 2 x CR1632 button battery
- Display: 1.2 in (3.05 cm) OLED (bright blue color)
- Accuracy: Plus or minus 0.4 percent maximum tolerance
- Units: Inches (decimal), inches (fractions), centimeters (decimal)
- Range: 10 m (32.8 ft) in metric mode, 83 feet (25.30 m) in inches mode
- Material: 304 Stainless steel, polycarbonate plastic, silicone rubber
- Standby time: 18,000 hours (2 years) using both batteries (with caveats for battery brand and conditions of use)
It’s interesting that the maximum range differs depending on units, which is a limitation of the display.
The Rollova team has had great success in their campaign, and Backerland was happy to review the Rollova. Their team has raised over $180,000 on Kickstarter and Indiegogo. Users can still get one for $57 (and get a leather case and some other extra goodies with their perks).
So if you liked the Rollova review, or are interested in upgrading your measuring ability or want to make rounding or corners easier to measure, head over to their Indiegogo page for more information and to get your own Rollova.